How to Use the New Library Catalog
Sorting the Catalog List
To sort the list, click on a column header (Title, Author, Call Number). A black arrow, pointing either up (ascending) or down (descending), will appear next to the header title. Click the black arrow to switch from up to down. (The Actions column has eyeballs. Click on the eyeball to get additional details, such as an acquisition date, on a title. Right now, only the books added since January 2017 will have an acquisition date.)
Printing the List You Just Sorted
To print the list you sorted, click on the green PDF List button in the grey box at the top left of the list.
Using Filters to Search the Library Catalog
To filter your search for a more manageable list of books:
1. Click on the drop-down arrow for "Subject", "Surnames", "Location", "Media Type", "New Additions" or "Donors".
2. Click on a specific category in the drop-down list to further filter and narrow your search.
3. You can sort the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Sorting).
4. You can print the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Printing).
5. Clear your search by clicking on the "broom" icon. Tip: when you do this, the complete library listing will re-appear.
Search by Call Number, Title, or Author
To begin your search:
1. Click on the drop-down arrow for "Search" to choose "Author", "Call Number", "Title" or "All Listed Fields".
2. In the For box, enter the corresponding information (i.e., if searching by Author, enter the Author's name). Tip: you don't need to enter the entire title of a book.
3. Then, click the "magnifying glass" icon to start your search.
4. You can also sort the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Sorting).
5. You can also print the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Printing).
6. Clear your search by clicking on the "broom" icon. Tip: when you do this, the complete library listing will re-appear.
- Books with call numbers containing an asterisk (for example 973 X23f 1930* ) are located on the small/oversize bookshelf in the Library – helpful to know this in case you plan to visit the Library.
- Books that have "digitized" after the title can be accessed online at familysearch.org. The books are shelved in storage and are available to browse upon request to a Library Monitor, or to the Library Director.
- Books with the call number 929.273 are also kept in storage and are available upon request to a Library Monitor, or to the Library Director.
If you would like to print or download the above instructions, click HERE
New Updates to the Online Library Catalog
GVGS' ever-growing online library catalog now includes an extensive collection of periodicals. While the periodicals are not indexed by articles (which can be done using PERSI from the Allen County Library) they are easily searchable by publication title and date of issue. You can also bring up a complete list of the periodicals by clicking on the "Media Type" filter and selecting "Periodical". Each periodical listed will include the month/year of each issue we have, and how many periodicals of that title we have. A good suggestion would be to check out a dozen or so of the periodical you're interested in to see what gems they contain.